Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I-9 Compliance, Quick Guide

http://www.chaselawpdx.com/

I-9 Compliance
Quick Guide ©
The rules for I-9 are always subject to change, but generally, this quick guide will help you keep your business in compliance, thereby reducing the likelihood of fines ranging from $375 to $3,200 per unauthorized worker and $110 - $1,100 for each paperwork or inspection violation. This guide is intended for general use and does not constitute legal advice. If you believe you are not properly in compliance with present I-9 regulations, please consult an attorney.

I-9 Compliance
1. I-9 must be completed at the time of hiring; before the first working day.
2. Should the employer make copies of I-9 supporting documentation, those copies must be maintained for as long as employer is required to maintain the I-9.
3. Employees do not need to provide employer with a social security number unless employer is participating in the USCIS E-Verify program.
4. Employer must verify the employee’s information upon or before any dated expiration of an employee’s work authorization. *If an employee leaves the authorization date blank, employers do not need to reverify supporting documents.
5. Retention: Employers must retain the I-9 and any copied supporting documents for the later of:
a. 3 years after the date of hire, or
b. 1 year after the date employment ends.
e.g.
1. 3 years = Employer hires employee for one year and does not rehire; retain I-9 packet for 2 years after termination of relationship.
2. 3 years = Employer hires employee for two years and does not rehire; retain I-9 packet for 1 year after termination.
3. 4 years = Employer hires employee for 3 years and does not rehire; retain I-9 packed for 1 year after termination.


To learn more about I-9 compliance or to minimize I-9 fines, please contact us at:

Morinaka Law Office LLC
(971) 338-9193
chase@chaselawpdx.com

No comments: